April 15, 2013

Glamping: My Overall Lack of Roughing It...

Glamping

Glamping by hchdesigns featuring maybelline mascara

"I'm what you call indoorsy" -Jim Gaffigan

So... my husband and I are going on a little camping trip with my sister and her husband to Yosemite National Park at the end of May... It's going to beautiful and I know and we will make memories... here's my problem... I kinda hate camping.... shhh... don't tell... I mean think about it, you spend hours setting up camp, to sleep on the ground to then cook your food in the pioneer way and then smell like campfire for the rest of the evening and then wake up at 5am because that's when the sun comes up... and that's if you slept because you had to pee in the middle of the night and you didn't want to leave your tent for fear of walking to the bathroom alone... And all that is if it doesn't rain... Sign me up!  I couldn't agree more with Jim Gaffigan's thoughts on camping...see here..
But being that I am a nice wife and I desperately do not want to be one of those women who is so high maintenance that I can't go on a little camping trip with my husband... So I'm putting my game face on and I'm determined to make it awesome!  Glamping.. (Glam-Camping) I've looked at a couple of sites that give tips and one thing is for sure.. it's all about making it fun... So.. Here are my list of "must haves" for my version of glamping...

1) Wine.. I can't stress this enough...
2) Games to play when your drinking the wine... Everything is better with wine..
3) Gourmet Food... No, to all hot dogs.. Yes, to soft cheese and bread... goes great with the wine...
4) Twinkle Lights & Lanterns...
5) Battery Powered Fan... Can't sleep without it...
6) Citronella Candle... Mosquito bites are not chic...
7) iPod/iPhone for an impromptu dance party at the camp site...

Then here are some practical items... because I refuse to be high maintenance... well kinda...

  • Face wash & lotion to help feel fresh...
  • Hand Sanitizer... not coming home with the flu...you can't make me...
  • Makeup essentials, tinted moisturizer, mascara & lip gloss... will help you stay fresh...
  • Baseball hat since the hairdryer is staying home... have to draw the line somewhere..
  • Basic jewelry... We are not barbarians people!
  • Sunnies! To help hide the bags under my eyes...
  • Sea Spray... does wonders for hair that wants to throw a fit... 
  • Yoga pants...perfect for hiking... or looking like I've been hiking..even better..
  • Reef Flip Flops... best $30 I've ever spent...
You would think it was going to be for a week or something.. nope just 2 nights.. big eye roll... I'm amazed and quite frankly embarrassed at my lack of "roughing it" skills... It was much easier when I was 18... but that was 13 years ago and I've gotten accustomed to electricity and running water.. it's the little things in life.. 

44 comments:

  1. Glamping. I love it. I'm sooo gonna start saying that. Our best friends LOVE camping on the beach and surfing, so I know it is in my near future...they however have a super fly Airstream...with a full bathroom. Now, that's what I'm talkin' about.
    xo
    ashley
    www.thephotogramps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah an air stream would be legit! How fun!

      Delete
  2. This is so cute! My kind of gal!! So stealing your list if I ever go camping! xx
    Becky
    cellajane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh that Quiksilver plaid shirt is ADORABLE! Quiksilver - I would have never guessed!! PS. I LOVE Jim Gaffigan. Hope you have a great Glamping trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great items dear, love the plaid shirt so much!!
    Hugs!!

    www.plogstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. sunnies are my must :D
    nice list hun!

    shall we follow each other?

    http://styleonmel.blogspot.com/2013/04/studds-for-mundos.html#more

    And please do the following:
    Like On Facebook , for photos and sharing opinion. Share the photos you like.
    https://www.facebook.com/StyleOnMel

    Subscribe on youtube for DIY and fashion videos. I’ts gonna be a lot of fun :D
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MelYaraMel?feature=mhee

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL - Hope, didn't you glean anything from my Instagram pic? A cabin is your answer. But I'm guessing there aren't any?? I'm like you (sadly, worse) - I hate camping: the bugs, the heat, the rain. And that's why we went in early spring... inside a cabin with a bathroom. Not sure that qualifies as camping but I did have to wash the laundry twice to get that darn campfire smell out. So maybe that counts?? Regardless, it was a lot of fun since we were with family. Be sure to make smores! That helps ease the pain ;)
    FashionEdible Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? It's Memorial Day weekend in Yosemite!!! We are lucky to get a campground.. believe me this wasn't my first choice... it started with a hotel, then went to cabins and finally ended with tent camping with no showers around!!! We'll have to "visit" a different campground to shower!! OMG... this is just getting humorous...

      Delete
    2. Haha...forgive me while I laugh :) You are truly a trooper. I don't know if I could swing that. Such a good wife!

      Delete
  7. Love the plaid shirt! :)

    xx MJ
    http://shopaholic-thoughts.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  8. who doesnt want jenga at glamping :P just followed :D If you dont mind, check out my blog www.beautydosage.com and follow back through GFC and blog lovin' :) It would mean alot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely items! I think I love them all because I can't decide which one is my favorite.


    -Vogue&Heels
    vogueandheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. really lovely pieces for glamping and wine is always appropriate;)
    xx Kate

    The Style Department

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pieces -- you must have good games with you! Have you played bananagrams? It's good and only have to pack 1 thing! Also reefs are amazing.. so comfy :)

    www.corporategirlstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes we love Bananagrams!
      Hope
      hchdesigns.blogspot.com

      Delete
  12. Ha! Okay I'm not really laughing because I used to LOVE camping and now I was thrilled to see that Canadian National Parks are putting in wooden 'tents' with fabric ceilings and real bathrooms. So exciting! I might go again. Soooo, I'm not going to be much help but here's the thing I find when there's no mirror around I stop caring what I look like, I relax and tend to have a good time!
    xo
    girlintheyellowdress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. yeah that helps a little... Canadian Parks sound great!

      Delete
  13. wow, you really go?? Respect..I could never do that...way to spoiled ;)

    http://jezzdallasmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this trip will be my first in quite awhile... we will see... :)

      Delete
  14. I know how ya feel, I don't really like camping either :) But you are a great wife for doing it anyway! Sounds like you have a great plan....hope you have a blast, can't wait to see pictures of Glam-Camping!!

    XoXo
    Teresa
    www.chicaffordable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cabin chic! Love it. And go A’s! Woot! Woot!

    <3,
    Modcore

    http://modcore.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. obsessed with every pick here. Thanks my kind of camping!

    http://everythingsalwayssunny.com
    Kristin
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a fun post! I have to admit, i was a little apprehensive the first time I decided to go camping as well. It turned out to be an amazing time with a large group of friends. I was mostly worried about wardrobe, having never gone camping before and this being a 4 day adventure i lost sleep over it. All in all, it was a great experience. Have a wonderful time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post. I too hate camping but have, on occasion, been cajoled into it. Thanks for the tips (especially the bit about the wine :p)

    http://justaddcakeuk.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on Links a la mode ! I loved this post. Was laughing the whole way through. I am not a camping kind of girl, but I refuse to be branded by the high maintence title. I just like the basic comforts in life, including my bed and a bathroom. That being said we do have to make sacrafices, and sometimes they do turn out to be fun !
    Wine would also be my essential item, in any scenario !!
    Great post.
    Love Dani xx
    www.huntinginheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much Dani! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  20. I am trying hard to get my fiance on board with glamping... he thinks its cheating. Maybe this summer I can talk him into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. yeah my husband thinks the same thing about silk flowers... :)

      Delete