April 15, 2013

Glamping: My Overall Lack of Roughing It...

Glamping

Glamping by hchdesigns featuring maybelline mascara

"I'm what you call indoorsy" -Jim Gaffigan

So... my husband and I are going on a little camping trip with my sister and her husband to Yosemite National Park at the end of May... It's going to beautiful and I know and we will make memories... here's my problem... I kinda hate camping.... shhh... don't tell... I mean think about it, you spend hours setting up camp, to sleep on the ground to then cook your food in the pioneer way and then smell like campfire for the rest of the evening and then wake up at 5am because that's when the sun comes up... and that's if you slept because you had to pee in the middle of the night and you didn't want to leave your tent for fear of walking to the bathroom alone... And all that is if it doesn't rain... Sign me up!  I couldn't agree more with Jim Gaffigan's thoughts on camping...see here..
But being that I am a nice wife and I desperately do not want to be one of those women who is so high maintenance that I can't go on a little camping trip with my husband... So I'm putting my game face on and I'm determined to make it awesome!  Glamping.. (Glam-Camping) I've looked at a couple of sites that give tips and one thing is for sure.. it's all about making it fun... So.. Here are my list of "must haves" for my version of glamping...

1) Wine.. I can't stress this enough...
2) Games to play when your drinking the wine... Everything is better with wine..
3) Gourmet Food... No, to all hot dogs.. Yes, to soft cheese and bread... goes great with the wine...
4) Twinkle Lights & Lanterns...
5) Battery Powered Fan... Can't sleep without it...
6) Citronella Candle... Mosquito bites are not chic...
7) iPod/iPhone for an impromptu dance party at the camp site...

Then here are some practical items... because I refuse to be high maintenance... well kinda...

  • Face wash & lotion to help feel fresh...
  • Hand Sanitizer... not coming home with the flu...you can't make me...
  • Makeup essentials, tinted moisturizer, mascara & lip gloss... will help you stay fresh...
  • Baseball hat since the hairdryer is staying home... have to draw the line somewhere..
  • Basic jewelry... We are not barbarians people!
  • Sunnies! To help hide the bags under my eyes...
  • Sea Spray... does wonders for hair that wants to throw a fit... 
  • Yoga pants...perfect for hiking... or looking like I've been hiking..even better..
  • Reef Flip Flops... best $30 I've ever spent...
You would think it was going to be for a week or something.. nope just 2 nights.. big eye roll... I'm amazed and quite frankly embarrassed at my lack of "roughing it" skills... It was much easier when I was 18... but that was 13 years ago and I've gotten accustomed to electricity and running water.. it's the little things in life..