May 30, 2013

Master Bedroom Revamp: Get back the magic...

Master Bedroom...

Master Bedroom... by hchdesigns on Polyvore


You know that moment when the pile of laundry is crawling out of the hamper on to the floor.. and there is an inch of dust on the dresser and like bajillion pairs of shoes to trip over on your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night... No? Only me? Well, that's been my world lately...  It isn't so much about the "messiness" of the bedroom.. all though that definitely plays a role.. it's that there isn't a place for things... Big sigh of frustration...  I said to Seth a couple of days ago "either we do like a MAJOR purge or we need to move..." It's not that I don't love our place I really do... it's been our happy little home for 3 years now... that's like a record for me having moved like all of my adult life... But its really astonishing the amount of stuff 2 people accumulate over time and all to be stored in 650sqft... it can be a challenge...

So, I'm determined to get my house back... I am going to start in the master... The master bedroom plays a HUGE role in your sanity... it is your escape, your haven, a place to unwind and recharge... But usually it's completely forgotten about and it receives the leftover attention at the end of the day...
The space should be a peaceful reflection of your personality... For example, one of my favorite colors is red... I've loved it for years...but I don't want it in my bedroom because of how stimulating that color can feel... So I want to go towards more of a modern neutral palette...

  • I will start with de-cluttering all surface areas... no more random scraps of paper or hair ties, empty tissue boxes and items that do not serve a purpose or isn't decor... I will be ruthless... nothing is safe...  If I haven't thought of it in a year then I don't need it... 
  • I will clean out from under the bed... gasp... nooo... oh the sheer horror.... I'm for real here folks.. nothing is safe... random lonely sock that's covered in dust, I'm coming for ya...
It's all about being creative to find new spaces and places for things.. one area hardly ever used properly is under the bed... Which I hate cleaning but it's time to be a grown up and bite the bullet!  Also, if something like a piece of furniture can be moved, move it! It will make a world of difference.. Try some new bed linens, fresh of silk greenery.. Ikea is a great place for some greenery a great price... Home Goods is another great option... I have to do silk because if I do fresh, I'll kill it in like 3-4 months... It's my specialty.. Just call me house plant assassin... , add some personal touches of photos and snap shots... but keep it all B&W.. it will help it to feel calm and classy...Lastly, if your able... revamp that lighting! Lighting is like the magic in decorating... some cute matching lamps for your night stands or something hanging from the ceiling? The options are really endless... it wont make a bit of difference how beautiful your bedroom looks if you can't see it... 

Just like how in fashion accessorizing is so important, it's the same in decorating... all that's needed to revamp the look is with little touches and accessories.... It can make all the difference in the world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment